Thursday, December 13, 2007

How did I get to be "George"?

I'm not really sure, but it happened a long time ago. My husband, who re-names almost everyone of significance in his life, began somewhere in the distant past (we've been married nearly 37 years) to call me "George". At first I was offended. George isn't very feminine, and in fact, it was my Dad's middle name. Much later I found out that when my hubby was a kid, his Dad used to call him George when there was something for him to do to help around the house. That seemed even worse - I had become the pet name my father-in-law called his son.

But y'know, over time, it kind of grew on me, and now I answer to "George" all the time. We have some friends whose husband's name is "George" and when we've been in a gathering of friends, and someone hollers out "the name" we both turn and respond. Sad, I know.

But now, I only get called my given name when I'm in deep weeds. In fact, my sweetie calls me my correct name so seldom that not long ago, when applying for a home mortgage, he put my wrong name on the application. That, also, is quite sad. Once, my husband sent me flowers, and signed the card "To George - Love Jim". My teenage son's friend didn't quite know what to do with that. I've come to know it really means "honey" or "sweetie" or some other endearment, and, interestingly when someone else calls me "George" (because they think it's my name) my husband gets rather miffed. Oh well...

So, when it came time to come up with a name for my business, Gems by George tumbled out of my mouth without even thinking. It seemed like a natural. I still get doubletakes by alot of people, but I hardly notice any more. I kind of like it actually. It could be worse.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

ok, hello...never knew that story. Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Hey M.,
WOW, great site, very impressed! I just love hearing your stories.

Mrs. D said...

Glad to have you blogging out there... you are great with words and as i read...it is as if you are right there talking to me. i linked to you at heretotestify.com and my other blogs too!

Kelli said...

Welcome to blogger world Margie!! I'm excited to visit your site and keep up on your beautiful makings...I'm wearing my necklace and earrings you made RIGHT and get compliments on them all the time...cause I wear them all the time I guess.. lol...well, I have 11 chickens to go butcher while the fam is in bed...ug...talk to you soon!