Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Strength Series


The moment I called out, You stepped in; You made my life large with strength. Psalms 138:3

My favorite color to wear is black. No, I'm not into Goth...I just love the classic, sharp look of black and when I buy clothes I have to be purposeful to pick something besides black, otherwise my closet would look like I was a mortician. I would always have a black car, except that in the Pacific Northwest, where the streets are wet 3/4ths of the year, I'd be driving the mudmobile most of the time. That's not cool. And I only wear black bathing suits for obvious reasons!!! But moving on to more important things....

Black, as a color, has many meanings, but the ones that spoke to me are strength, authority and power. And don't those words take your thoughts to both good and evil? We've all known people who used strength, authority and power for their own ends, and used them in hurtful, destructive ways. Some of us have been the recipients of such actions. But truth be told, the most powerful and strong authority is ultimately good. Good triumphs over evil. Evil is overcome by good. The good guy wins. And there is only One good all the time, and that is God. Y'know how the insurance companies always call hurricanes and tornados "acts of God". Well, that is a misnomer if there ever was one. God is good, all the time.

Think of the times in your life when you've felt weak, vulnerable and powerless. It is at those very times when the knowing that there is Someone who would be strong on our behalf, Someone who would exercise their power for our well-being, well, that kind of "news" would be welcome indeed. God says that the moment, the very moment we call out, He will open up those tight spaces in us or in our lives with strength. The Bible says that when we are weak, then we are strong...why? Because God makes our lives large with strength.

So, when you wear a black piece from Gems by George, be reminded that you are not alone in the struggle...that the goodness of God, which is the ultimate strength,is always for you. He's not waiting to smack you when you make a mistake. His arms are stretched out wide, eager to embrace, comfort, and rescue you when you choose to run to Him...He's waiting to make your life large with strength. From this point on, think of black as your color of strength...God's strength on your behalf. He really loves you alot!

No comments: